Tuesday, January 06, 2015

King of Kings (1961): are those telegraph poles?

One of the things that happens when you watch a film many times over is that you start spotting things in the background.  I was viewing the temptation scene in King of Kings (1961) today, and there is a long shot right over the desert and I think I can see what look like two telegraph poles in the background.

Here's a screenshot:


Can't see what I'm talking about?  Take a closer look:


Here's a zoom-in at the best resolution I can manage:



See what I mean, or am I seeing things?

5 comments:

Jens Knudsen (Sili) said...

Nah. It's the One True Cross.

Mr Regnier said...

Or maybe a radio mast? Don't think it's very biblical whatever it is... unless the tower of Babel was very tall and thin!

geoffhudson.blogspot.com said...

It's a long range Roman catapult used to attack Masada.

Stephen Goranson said...

Certainly two lines in the image, but I would not guess telephone poles, without others visible, and more widely spaced. Also maybe not in this area (remote? in Spain?).
Perhaps a flaw on this copy of the film?
One might need a synoptic examination of copies...

MattGZat said...

My vote is for the telephone line: 'He is on the 'phone line tell him what you want ...' as the spiritual points out. There is no hint of sarcasm in this comment! What an image for encouraging prayer/communicating with our God.