Monday, July 30, 2012

Top Ten Authors in my Thomas Book (by counts)

I have recently finished indexing my forthcoming book Thomas and the Gospels.  These are the top ten most popular authors featured in the book by counts.  As you will see, it's a resounding victory for Stephen Patterson, who has almost fifty more mentions compared to his nearest rival, April DeConick:

(1) Stephen Patterson (115)
(2) April DeConick (66)
(3) Helmut Koester (49)
(4) James Robinson (45)
(5) Werner Kelber (39)
(6) Klyne Snodgrass (30)
(7) Uwe-Karsten Plisch (27)
(8) Michael Goulder (25)
(9) Wolfgang Schrage (24)
(9) Christopher Tuckett (24)
(11) Risto Uro (23)

I should perhaps add that frequency of mention does not necessarily correlate with degree to which I agree with these scholars' arguments.

5 comments:

Jens Knudsen (Sili) said...

Oooh. Exciting. It's a bit steep, but I should support my favourite academics.

--o--

Incidentally, may I email you to ask for some reading recommendations about Acts and the Documentary Hypothesis?

Mark Goodacre said...

You are too kind. I am beginning a podcast series on the book soon.

You may always email me. Can't guarantee any wisdom in response, though.

Frederik Mulder said...

It's a pity we don't find Simon Gathercole's important and recent CUP monograph on the composition of Thomas among the list .... :)

Frederik Mulder said...

Thus, the Thomas Among the Gospels session at SBL [on 11/19/2012; 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM; Room: W179b - McCormick Place],where Gathercole and Goodacre's books will be discussed promises to be very interesting ...

Mark Goodacre said...

Yes, Simon and I wrote our books independently of each other, a bit like Matthew and Luke on the Two-Source Theory! But now we have each read each other's. Looking forward to the SBL session.